Monday, June 10, 2013

To Garden in Style

I have to admit that gardening is not my favorite activity but I help out with the 1st - 5th graders at church and they grow a garden every year. It was just too perfect of a place to show off my latest sewing project!


I conquered denim and sewed up some overalls!


Fabric: cotton denim 7 oz. ($13/yd)
Pattern: Wearing History WWII Homefront 1940s overalls
Year: 1940s
Notions: jean buttons ($4)
Hours to complete: 14
First worn: May 2012
Total cost: ~$25



When I saw Wearing History's latest pattern, I knew I just had to have it and make a pair (or three!)


So far I've made the playsuit in blue linen as a wearable muslin, these overalls, and a pair of denim shorts! You can bet you'll be seeing loads of this pattern from me this summer!


I did make a few muslins of the short part first just because I know my shape is no where near the ideal 40s shape. Since the pattern said it ran a bit snug in the hips and I was between hip sizes, I went with the larger size and had plenty of room. I definitely recommend muslining this pattern just because the 40s pant shape can look frumpy real fast if they don't properly.


And for just a bit of effort, these came out very comfortable but still super flattering! So many other 40s overall patterns and repro overalls just look frumpy and manly but these are so cute and feminine!


These took a while to make because I did double topstitching on most of the seams. Note to self, next time you want to do this much double topstitching, buy the double needle! It wasn't hard. I just had to go slow to make it look good.


In fact, the pattern sewed up just swimmingly until I got to the buttons and button holes. My machine gave me a bit of attitude when doing the button holes so there was a bit of weeping and gnashing of teeth but I made it through all of them. Then I got jean buttons that are two pieces that you hammer together through the fabric. NEVER AGAIN! It was sooo hard to hammer in straight and they kept getting all bent and then I'd have to try and rip them out with pliers without destroying the overalls.


On my playsuit, I did do a button hole under the pocket but it was such a pain! And I really had to do the wiggle dance to get my hips in, so I lowered the opening on the overalls. (If you're hips are big for your waist size, you'll probably need to do this too.) So I just did two snaps under the pocket instead.


I decided to line the bodice, waist band and pockets with this cute bird fabric instead of using bias binding. It gives a really nice clean finish. Plus it's so fun!


I paired the overalls with my Wearing History Smooth Sailing blouse.


I just adore my new overalls! I want to make another pair (and the pants too!) but I think I need a break from sewing denim for a while.

28 comments:

  1. Oh, those are SO cute!!! I made myself a pair of forties jeans from an altered pattern last year, but they didn't turn out nearly as cute as your overalls!

    Brigid
    The Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are gorgeous! Love them. I feel your pain trying to get the buttons to work. There must be a better way!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is too cute! I want a pair now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! Yours are the first ones I've seen sewn up, they look just as cute as the originals! I have the pattern too, can't wait to sew it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG!!!! These are so darn adorable! I need to force myself to sew more so I can work up to projects like this. I hate the idea of shoveling out so much money for denim overalls that won't fit and are too masculine. :-/ I also love how versatile this pattern is. Overalls, pants, shorts, playsuits...love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Really, it's the only 40s pant type bottom pattern you'd need!

      Delete
  6. I just finished mine too! Our weather has been awful but I'm hoping to get some photos up this week. I did the jeans and overalls with double top stitching too- also need to do the double needle! :P Can't wait to sew some in black and brown too!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SUCH CUTE OVERALLS!! You look smashing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh I love your overalls, nice combination with the blouse. Such a fun outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! What a great job you did and you look super adorable!

    xoxo
    -Janey

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this jumpsuit! Take great pleasure to read your blog! It is a feast for the eyes! Thank you for sharing your passion and inspire me so much!


    ps: I'm sorry for my English ...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute! I bought the pattern too, but I keep putting off making anything since I've never sewn pants and feel ridiculously hesitant about trying. :p

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, I'm sooo excited!!! You look amazing!!! Thank you so much for posting and sharing your beautiful pictures with me! Please let me know of I can use your pics on my site- you'd be the perfect cover girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love that you've just done overalls too! I wish a bunch of us who've made 40s overalls could get together and do a group photo, it would be awesome! It's really cool to see you actually using yours. Maybe if it isn't too hot I'll pull mine out this weekend for some re-potting. Also, they really show off just how much you're slimmed down. You always look gorgeous regardless!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dear! I too think a 40s overall blogger meet up would be so awesome!

      Delete
  14. !!!!!! I was waiting for someone to sew these!!! Looks amazing on you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely! I have another dungaree pattern in my stash I wish to sew sometimes. It would be the perfect garment for gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous!! I'd love to have a pair, guess I'll have to set to work, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're the first one on the internets :D Happy to see it, because I'm making it right now. I had to take out some ease in the bodice, now I can start...can't wait to start the real one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I adore these pants you've made - and I'm a huge jeans-lover; I've yet to make vintage. This is the first time I see the overalls sews so well and you did a GREAT job for the fit. . . . and love those vintage inspired curls:) Again, congratulations on the fit - these look so good - I may put them on my list to make. Love these pants! Congrats - and glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love, love, love your awesome new overalls! Oohh, they are all kinds of special and so classic. You look fabulous, dear gal - wonderful work on them!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh hooray! I've been hmm-ing and haw-ing over buying that pattern. Was a little wary, for my from-scratch sewing skills need more practice. (I mend & alter vintage constantly, but rarely make things from patterns.) This was incredibly helpful as a review, and your guidance is invaluable. Bonus: I got to admire them on you, they look fantastic!!

    xo Sara

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are freaking amazing! I lovelovelove overalls but have terrible memories of the pair I had when I was 13 (I still loved them but they looked awful). Since then I've always figured that I couldn't get away with wearing overalls because of my high hip:waist ratio - but these look really well fitted in the waist, I might have to try them!

    ReplyDelete