Monday, May 6, 2013

An easy weekend look

I love things that are classic, easy to wear and look great too! This dress certainly fits the bill!

1940s, 1948, Simplicity 2502 via Star-Spangled Heart

Fabric: black and white gingham cotton ($4/yd)
Pattern: Simplicity 2502
Year: 1948
Notions: buttons (from stash)
Hours to complete: 6-ish
First worn: May 2012
Total cost: ~$12

1940s, 1948, Simplicity 2502 via Star-Spangled Heart

I love the shape of late 40s dresses! And it's crazy comfortable. It was a bit light for the weather when I wore it but it'll be perfect all summer long!

1940s, 1948, Simplicity 2502 via Star-Spangled Heart

 I made a self fabric belt, but I can imagine this paired with all manner of brightly colored belts and accessories!


I had a lot of fun with the construction on this dress. I used black and white striped bias tape for several of the seams. I found this delightful vintage bias tape at Sew Dayton, a super cute local sewing store.

fly front

This pattern uses a button fly front so the buttons are hidden! I happened to have matching black buttons but this would be a great option for left over or odd ball buttons since you can't see them anyways.

fly front

Here you can see the two layers that the buttons are hidden between. It was quite easy to do and I really like the look of it.

1940s, 1948, Simplicity 2502 via Star-Spangled Heart

The first Friday of every month, Dayton hosts an event called First Fridays to encourage patronage of local businesses and this is what I wore my dress for. We popped in to quite a few local places including a new to us wine bar!


I was quite happy with my hair since I did a hot set! It's been pretty dry for this time of year and the lack of humidity has really made my hot sets last.

1940s, 1948, Simplicity 2502 via Star-Spangled Heart

I'm so excited that I can go out and do stuff and look cute since the weather is finally getting nice!

4 comments:

  1. What a great job! Beautiful, elegant outfit! You look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This piece has a nice Parisian feel to it. Cute shoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That trifecta of elements is a firm favourite for me as well. Lovely, completely timeless dress. The cut and tie waist are so charming. I bet this is the kind of piece that you're going to get a ton of wear out of.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such an adorable dress! The way the buttons and closing is designed is great. You just don't see details like that in most modern patterns. :]

    ReplyDelete