Monday, May 13, 2013

A Touch of Western

I'm not really big on anything western or country or farm, but I do go to church in a barn so it had to happen sooner or later.


I've wanted a blue chambray dress for summer for a while and I'm so happy I finally made one!


Fabric: blue chambray cotton ($5/yd)
Pattern: Simplicity 2851
Year: 1949
Notions: western style buttons, zipper, belt kit
Hours to complete: 6
First worn: May 2012
Total cost: ~$25
 

I just adore this pattern! Late 1940s looks are so flattering. I've also made a winter version of this dress. Don't you love reusing patterns? I've been keeping an eye out for patterns that have both short and long sleeved options so they'll work for both summer and winter.


I found a set of vintage "pearls" among my stuff that's still at my parents' house a while back and I really like them! They are a bit daintier than my other faux pearls and will be great for summer.


I bought these metal western buttons on a whim at Costume College. They go great with the blue chambray for just a touch of country.


I know that this will be a favorite all summer!

9 comments:

  1. So cute! I want to hop on the chambray train, it's such an effortless looking fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really gorgeous. Looks fantastic on your lovely figure. And I just adore your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this so much! I don't know why, but I'm always drawn to blue dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We must be on the same vintage wavelength this spring, because I've been yearning for a blue chambray dress lately so much, too (love your new one - great job!). I thought I'd found a good one on etsy recently, but when I contacted the seller with a question about it, she wrote back and told me it had more condition issues than stated (which I really appreciate, don't get me wrong), so it wasn't meant to be. I'll keep the hunt going for sure.

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how versatile a chambray shirtwaist dress is! It's funny you always think of them as western, because I always think of them as nautical, in a Nantucket yacht club clam-bake kind of way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always, you are cute as a button and blue chambray is also something I have been wanting to play with! So darling! xo Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow. Love the color, the pattern, the fit. And you look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wondering, did you make your belt or have it made somewhere? This dress is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made it from a covered belt kit. You can find vintage ones in thrift stores sometimes but I prefer the kits from A Fashionable Stitch. http://shop.afashionablestitch.com/category/belt-making

      Delete