Thursday, July 15, 2010

Vintage Hairstyling

I got my copy of Vintage Hairstyling by Lauren Rennells in the mail today! Woot! This book is fabulous! It has step by step instructions with lots of great pictures. It also shows you lots of techniques you can use to build your own styles. I cannot wait to try all of the styles, though some of them will have to wait for my hair to grow out to do some of them.


Youtube videos are a great resource for hairstyles, but they can be difficult to see exactly what to do due to poor lighting or camera quality. Lauren's pictures are clear and beautiful even on models with really dark hair.


One of my favorite parts of this book is the before and after pictures. It's really great proof that you can have vintage style with any length and cut of hair.

Styles are created using a variety of curling methods, but the basic curl section teaches you enough to be able to adapt any method for any style with some trial and error. This makes me very happy, as hot rollers don't work for me if I need the hair to end up in a curl.

I'm going to try the front of a style for tomorrow (my hair is too short to do the back). I also have Betty bangs and this isn't a bang style. We'll see how it turns out!

See more pics of Lauren's book on the sneak peak section of her website. (These two pictures are from there.)

3 comments:

  1. I love this book too! My hair also doesn't work with hot rollers or a curling iron so I have to use pin curls or rag curls if I want a curl. Most vintage gals recommend Lottabody for a setting lotion. It's blue and you can buy it at Sally's beauty supply. My curls are always nicer and last longer with Lottabody. Good luck, do post pics of finished styles, I'd love to see them!! xoxo
    http://vavoomvintage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous!! I have been coveting this book for months. It has been on my gift list twice. Looks like the only way I'm going to get it is to break down and buy it myself. Are there many short hairstyles? I fear my hair is too short for most of the styles in the book. I would hate to get it and not be able to execute all that vintage goodness.

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca Jean- There aren't a ton of short hairstyles, but there aren't many that you couldn't make work with shorter hair. There are a couple of faux bobs that you could do for real. I've also done a couple of styles where I did the interesting front of the style as per the book and just did the back in pin curls or even just curled under. There's also a really great section up front on techniques. I now know more about pin curling that ever thought possible.

    If you do decide to get it (which I highly recommend), just remember that even Lauren used different models with different hair cuts and lengths to create all of the styles so you can't expect your one head of hair to pull them all off exactly.

    ReplyDelete